Wednesday, January 10, 2007

It's nice to be remembered

Today was another good day. It seems the colder it is the harder it is for me to want to get out of bed though. I think I could have slept in until noon if I was allowed. I am thankful for the cold if it kills all the germies going around. Although I wish it would get cold the week I am inside at work. It's not much fun standing outside for a little over an hour when it's cold. It's not that it's that cold right now either, but man the wind is wicked. I had a student with me all day today that was in suspension so that left me pretty much in my room the full time. At least I had things to occupy my time so it worked out nicely. After my fitting last night I have decided next week to go back on the Special K diet. I lost a few pounds when I did it about a year ago, but I am hoping to add in some regular exercise as well. After work I picked up May and we headed home. I grabbed the mail and saw a letter addressed to me. There was no return address which is sometimes fun because if you don't recognize the handwriting then it's like a little surprise. I opened it to find out it was from a girl that I knew from the first year I started at my job. She was a 5th grader than. The fifth graders that were there the first year are the ones I really remember because they were new to building and I to the school so we learned together. Anyway, her mom had battled cancer on and off three years . The night before she was to graduate from 7th grade her mom died. This girl was so special and could always make me laugh and my heart just broke for her. I had the chance to meet her mom about 6 months before she died and she was such a happy person and I could see where this girl got all laughter and love from. She would always tell me jokes her mom would make about her cancer or the chemo. She just never had a down attitude. This girls parents had been divorced and her dad lived in another town so when her mom died she moved away and we wrote a few letters back and forth and then we both stopped writing. I mainly because Lydia was born and I just got busy and her I am sure because her life was moving forward. Long story long I got a letter from her telling me how well things were going in her life. Her dad was going to remarry. School was going well and she was out for a lot of activities. She has great teachers and friends. She also sent me a school picture. She's in tenth grade now and it just really meant the world to me that she still remembered me after all this time and that she took the time to write me a letter. The kids I meet at my job are incredible individuals and it is so exciting to see who they become as they get older. I am really lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home