Saturday, September 09, 2006

The First Day of School 1st Grade

I figure there will be many more first days of school so I might as well label it 1st grade. I was actually more prepared and more comfortable going back to work this year than any year before. Possibly because we are in a different building so I feel like everyone is on an even playing field. Maybe it's because I've been there long enough now. Maybe it's just because last year was so tough having to leave L and having M start kindergarten that this year feels just like a breeze. Anyway, I was quite surprised how both M and I got back into the groove on things fairly quickly. Tuesday morning I woke her up and we had breakfast together. We got ready and took some pictures and I walked her down to the bus. I ran back into the house to get something and saw the bus was coming so I quick ran back down and asked her for a hug and she said "Mom, the bus is coming!" and I said I know, but give me a hug, which she did and then I waved at her and told her to have a good day and as she was getting on the bus she didn't even turn back. Just threw her arm back and waved. It was nice to see her same bus driver as last year and hear his nice "Good morning M!". She was more than happy to inform him that she was 6 now. Off she went and off I started crying. I don't remember crying last year, but for some reason this year seemed harder and after discussing it with some coworkers they brought it to my attention that it was most likely the fact that M wasn't missing me. That she was comfortable enough this year that she was just ready. Last year she was ready for school, but I still knew she was going to miss me, but this year she was just ready to go and do her thing. The rest of the days flew by and have been really good. We are studying her sight words which she seems to remember from last year and next week she has her first spelling test so we have been practicing. She has been sleeping in the dark now. Also she has just turned into a fish. Everytime she takes a bath she is so excited to show me how she puts her whole head in the water and holds her breath. You just watch your kids for so long and then one day they have done something new and it's just incredible. L has been doing real good too staying home with daddy this week. I am so glad daddy had off this week. It was easier to get into a routine. So one week down and next week we will see what comes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home