Saturday, February 10, 2007

Oh The Joys of Motherhood

Well we have finished another week of keeping the kids in at school during noon due to the cold weather. We have still all managed to keep our sanity as well, but I do notice this cold weather is making me a bit crabby. (Mayme could probably tell you that.) Work went well. We had bagels for breakfast and then it was pretzel for lunch....my favorite. Paul and Lydia came in and had lunch with me which was nice. Paul has been working extra hours so he went and did some errands when he left after lunch and then came back to drop off Lydia so he could go right to work. It works out real nice sometimes that we work in the same town. It still was so cold though and I think Lydia is getting sick of it too. We got to May's school and went inside and when it was time to go Lydia decided she wanted to walk and not be carried. I told her she could walk, but she'd have to hold my hand or else she'd be carried. Then she wanted to walk in the snow, but didn't have her boots on and so I told her no. She then came to a complete stop. Did I mention it was freezing?? So I told her I was going to carry her and I picked he up and I am surprised her screams and shrieks did not shatter the glass of the school and all the cars in the parking lot. By the time we got to the car she decided she was going to scream because it was too cold and she didn't want to get in her car seat. She sticks her belly out and straightens her legs when I am trying to get her in so I really have to try and push hard to get her in. Normally I am not embarrassed. Maybe it's different when I have someone else with me so I don't feel like I am dealing with a banchee alone. Then we went into town for groceries and both the girls did real well until we got out to the parking lot and the same battle over the car seat. So I am sure people thought I was either beating her or kidnapping her. (Maybe I"m being too hard on myself) So I am trying to get her in her seat and all I can think about is the lady who was caught on tape in the parking lot beating her kid in the backseat.....even though I am not doing that I am trying to be forceful to get her in her seat and plus she's screaming. I was about done for the day, but then Mayme wanted to get some food and I thought that wouldn't be a bad idea. When we got in the restaurant immediately Lydia wanted to run so I had Mayme keeping an eye on her and helping to keep her close to me. When we were trying to find a place to sit I was leading the way and holding the drinks so I asked Mayme to grab Lydia's hand. Well Mayme walked and Lydia didn't want to be led so she fell to the floor-sprawled out and screamed. It was quite fantastic. Literally all eyes were on me. I just told May to go sit and I picked up Lydia and carried her to our table. She was great the rest of the night, but boy oh boy what an evening.

I was real excited when we got home to see Mayme pick up the newspaper and try reading it. She was doing real well too and asking me for help when she needed it which for a long time she wouldn't do. Then she read me a story and it was one that had some harder words in and she was doing a great job of trying to sound them out or look at the picture to see if that would help her with the word.

I think it is going to be another weekend of hibernation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home