Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Lessons all around

Well I am back another day so I guess that's good. Yesterday we had a couple lessons of life and death with our 5 year old. We had a baby bird that must have fallen out of it's nest that was lying dead of course right next to the sand box. She was so puzzled as what had happened. She thought a falcon had attacked it (thanks to Stuart Little). Then we went over to her Grandpa's and she found a dead baby kitten. It's so funny because as a child I would have been crushed and with time and experiences I just picked up the little creature and laid it to rest in the pasture. Again my 5 year old wondered what had happened. I tried to explain to the best of my ability and she seemed to handle it just fine. I am thankful for these lessons because I think that they will in someway help down the road for when a relative dies. Yet we all know when someone dies no one is prepared whether it is a surprise or a long drug out disease. She will ask me questions and it's just do big too explain sometimes.

Right now she thinks everyone lives to 100 and then they die. :) I wish it was the case.

Today M (the 5 year old) had a hearing appointment. At Christmas time we noticed she was hardly hearing at all and I asked the school nurse to check her hearing and she failed. We had two more hearing tests in which she had no hearing within normal range. She was set up to put tubes in her ears this Friday due to fluid in her ears. Then a week ago she was able to hear!! After 6 months of her not being able to hear without us yelling at her she heard me whispering. So we went in today and FINALLY her hearing is back into the normal range. The otorhinogologist said that the fluid was all gone. No need for surgery!!!! Our prayers were answered. Even though this surgery (which she was also going to have her tonsils and adenoids taken as well) happens all the time when it's your child you just don't want them to have to go through any pain. Even if it's as minor as a scrape. I still remember last year when our other daughter who was 3 months old at the time had to have a surgery to remove some bone in her skull and hearing her cry and moan when she was coming out of the anesthesia. It was almost too much to bare. I was happy because she was crying because it was like "Whew it's over and she made it through okay," but also heart wrencing because I wondered if she was feeling any pain. It is a lesson for me to learn that no matter what lays ahead in my little girls lives that they will at one time(most likely more than once) go through a pain that I won't be able to take away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home